www.google.com/maps – Google Traffic Check with Maps
Check the Traffic to Work & Work to Home on Google Map:
Google Maps is the world’s largest navigation app with over 70% of the global smartphone owners have used the app at least once. Google has started offering traffic data in 2007 through Google Maps. If you have remembered then, traffic conditions are represented in a red, green, and orange-colored overlay on top of the streets. However, the Google Maps’ ‘Traffic Conditions’ feature has evolved to represent even the finer details on your ways, such as crashed cards, construction signs, speed cameras, and more.
Therefore, Google Map is a reliable route planning app with real-time traffic congestion information on your hand wherever and whenever.
Can You Update a Work Address or a Home Address on Google Maps?
You might not be well aware that Google Maps allows you to update your work and home address to your Google Maps account. So, you can easily update your address, and this is the first step you should do to receive the real-time traffic conditions on your way to work or home.
On an Android or iPhone/iPad:
- Firstly, you have to launch the Google Maps app on your android device.
- Then, simply tap on the Saved icon at the bottom of the home screen.
- Next, you have to tap on the Labelled menu.
- Then, there you have to tap on the Home and enter your home address.
- Then, you have to tap on Work and enter the address of your workplace.
On a computer or a browser:
- You have to open a web browser and enter www.google.com/maps. Then you have to launch Google Maps on your browser.
- If you haven’t logged in to your account, then enter your login credentials to log in.
- After that, you have to click on the Menu icon, located on the top left of the screen.
- Then, you need to click on Your Places on the menu.
- On the Labelled tab, select the Home and provide your home address. Then you have to save the address.
- Then, on the Labelled tab, you have to click on the Work option. Then provide the workplace address and click on the Save button.
Now, you have successfully pinned the locations of your home and workplace on your Google Maps. So, this way, you can easily compare alternative routes from and to home/work on one tap with the benefit of checking the traffic details.
Check Traffic to Work or Home on Google Maps:
In order to check the real-time traffic and travel times, delays, and disruptions on your way to home or work, you have to follow these instructions below:
On an Android or an iPhone/iPad:
- You have to launch the Google Maps app on your device.
- Then, you need to tap on the Commute (Go) icon at the bottom of the page.
However, if you may not find the Commute icon in some selected cities. Instead of that, you may find the Go icon. If so, simply tap on the Go icon.
- Then, the top of the navigation bar of the screen shows either the To Work or To Home option. You have to tap on the top bar to switch between the two options depending on your destination.
Also Read: Best VPN for Streaming
On a computer or a browser:
- You have to open the browser and then go to this link www.google.com/maps
- Then, expand the menu on the left of the screen, under the Menu icon.
- If you already have the home and work address previously, then select either Home or Work depending on your destination.
- Then, you have to type or select the starting location.
- After that, select the menu icon and then Traffic from the list.
There, you will get to view a color-coded index for the traffic status on the bottom of the map. Green: No Traffic, Orange: Low Traffic, Red: Moderate Traffic, Dark Red: Heavy Traffic.
- There, you need to select the Live Traffic option and toggle on the bottom to get real-time traffic updates as you commute.
- Then, you have to click on the ‘Send direction to your phone option on the side panel.
- On the pop-up menu, then you have to select an option (email/text) to send the directions to your phone.
Can You Optimize the Traffic Details that You Get on the Way to Work or Home?
On an Android or an iPhone/iPad:
If you do not take the same mode of transportation every day to your home or work, then you can change the way of commuting in Google Maps. Therefore, you will only get the traffic updates related to that particular mode of commute. You can simply follow these instructions below to change the way you commute on Google Maps:
- You have to tap on the Commute icon on the button bar of the screen.
- Then, simply select the More button on the top bar.
- Then, you have to select the Commute Settings on the menu option.
- Tap on the How You Commute and select your mode of travel from the menu.
How You Can Update the Arrival Time, Departure Times, and Travel Days:
You will get notifications and more accurate trip information if you set the additional details regarding your commute.
- Firstly, tap on the Commute icon on the button bar of the screen.
- Then, you have to click on the More button and select the Commute Settings on the menu.
- You have to tap on Commute Times and update your usual workdays and the start time and end time of your work. When you are done, select the Finished option.
- Simply toggle on the Get Commute Notification button.
After that, you will automatically receive notifications on traffic updates and road conditions, just before the time of depart for your work and just before the time of leave from work.
How Can You Turn Off Regular Routes?
Google Maps may use your location history to customize the traffic updates for you. If you are using a usual route to travel to and from work, then Google Maps might customize the traffic updates for your preference. This means, it not only shows the directions and traffic details related to your regular route of commute. However, to consider all the possible routes on your commute to home or work, then you should disable Google Maps using the information of your regular routes for its traffic data optimization. For that, you have to follow these instructions:
- Firstly, you have to go to Commute Settings in Google Maps.
- Then, toggle off the ‘Get More Accurate Commute Info’ button.